Family Rise Together

Housing Stabilization Services

About Housing Stabilization Services

Various challenges and barriers can make it hard for seniors and people with disabilities to find housing, budget, interact with landlords and neighbors, and understand the rules of a lease. Finding and keeping stable affordable housing is important to the health of Minnesotans. 

Housing Stabilization Services (HSS) is a new Medical Assistance benefit designed to help people with disabilities and seniors find and keep housing. Housing Stabilization Services is a home and community-based service.

The purpose of HSS is to support an individual’s transition into housing, increase long-term stability in housing in the community, and avoid future periods of homelessness or institutionalization.

Family Rise Together can serve HSS clients located in St. Louis, Carlton, Itasca, and Pine counties.


To be eligible for HSS, you must:

  • Be on Minnesota Medical Assistance (MA)
  • Be you 18 or older 
  • Have a disability or disabling condition or be 65 or older (including mental health conditions, learning disabilities, and substance use disorder)
  • Be experiencing housing instability, homelessness, transitioning, or at risk of homelessness or institutionalization.

How to Apply

Complete an HSS Intake Form at the bottom of this page to get started with a Family Rise Together Housing Navigator.

The gateway to accessing FHPAP in St. Louis County is the Coordinated Entry System (CES). All households who are at risk of being unhoused or experiencing homelessness can call 2-1-1 to connect with someone who can refer you to us at Family Rise Together to apply for HSS. A household who is experiencing or at-risk of homelessness is first scheduled an appointment with a housing assessor. There are also walk-in assessments available in the Duluth area on Wednesdays from noon to 2 p.m. at the Damiano Center (206 W 4th Street, Duluth MN 55802).

Housing Consultation

This is the first step in HSS. We will help you develop a Housing Focused Person-Centered Plan. In this plan, you identify your strengths, needs and wants in housing - including cultural requirements and/or preferences. We can also offer resource information for services that support any non-housing related goals and coordinate with other service providers you're currently working with. We will help you understand your rights to privacy and appeal information.

Transitioning Services

If you're transitioning or recently transitioned from an institution or licensed setting, we offer support for housing transition planning, researching and contacting housing options, assistance with housing search and applications, tenant screening, budget development, navigating transportation, fostering relationships with landlords, negotiating leases, supporting cultural needs, and more.

Sustaining Services

If you're working to sustain your housing, we provide assistance in identifying and preventing behaviors that may threaten housing, education on tenant and property manager rights, transportation support, fostering cultural understanding with landlords and neighbors, coaching to maintain positive relationships, advocacy to prevent eviction, aid with housing recertification, ongoing tenant training, support in benefit applications and income maintenance, community resource connections, promoting housing retention with landlords, arranging accommodations or assistive technology as needed, and more.

HSS Intake Form

If you’re interested in Housing Stabilization Services, please complete this short Intake From. Family Rise Together staff will reach out to you within 24 business hours to let you know next steps. Contact [email protected] if you have questions or need assistance. 

Full Legal Name(Required)
Permission for Family Rise Together to communicate with you via text(Required)
If we can text you at the number listed above, please check yes.
Housing Stabilization Services (HSS) Eligibility:(Required)
These are not the only factors but checking the boxes below that apply to you will give us a general idea if you are eligible. Is the person applying for HSS services:
FRT staff will try to contact you within one business day of receiving this form. What is the best way to connect with you (call, text, email, call a friend or family member)?